Crunchy Mix-&-Match Granola (Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Nut Free Option, Vegan Friendly)
Want a crunchy, wholesome, gourmet granola ready for breakfast in the morning? And want it just the way you like it? Lots of nuts? Check! No nuts? You got it! Heavy on the fruit? Sure! It really is a 'choose-your-own-adventure' type of dish (some of you may be way too young to get that book reference).
And it is so super easy, you won't be buying any more pretty boxes of disappointing granola's again!
Before I list out the ingredients, let me just say the measurements don't need to be exact. It is more of a guide, and once you have made a few batches, you will get the feel for how much of everything you like, or how you want to mix things up. I go for about 2 1/2 Cups of dry ingredients and they could be made up of really what your heart desires, or like me, what you have to use up in your pantry :) Also if you are cooking for a big family, this recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to fit needs.
What You Will Need:
1 Cup of Coconut Flakes
1 Cup of Mixed Nuts or Seeds (Choose your favs, and don't be fooled to think you need nuts, because a completely nut free granola is just as tasty!)
1/2 Cup Dried Fruit (choose sulphite free fruit) or Additional Ingredients like Puffed Rice or Buckwheat
2 Tbs Coconut Oil
3 Tbs Rice Malt Syrup or Liquid Sweetener
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Optional - Additional spices like Cinnamon, Ginger, Cardamon or even some fresh Orange Zest
Pinch of Salt
- Preheat Oven to 165C.
- Roughly chop nuts or seeds. If you have a food processor or Thermomix, you could quickly waz up the nuts to roughly chop them that way too. The idea is to get chunky pieces of different sizes.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl (nuts/seeds and other fruit or grains etc).
- Gently heat the coconut oil and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan until combined and runny. Add the vanilla and optional flavourings to this liquid mixture.
- Pour liquid over the dry mixture, and stir to completely coat all the nuts etc in the coconut oil and syrup. It is important here to make sure everything is mixed through well.
- Spread mixture evenly on roasting trays and pop in oven for 10 mins.
- Remove tray from oven and give everything a good stir to make sure mixture roasts evenly. Put back in for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, leave to cool completely as this is when it will get super crunchy.
- Once cooled store in an airtight container and try not to eat all at once.
We love eating this granola with creamy coconut yoghurt and some fresh seasonal fruit, but it is just as good as a cereal with your milk of choice.