Zucchini Brownie (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Fructose Friendly, Paleo & Vegan Options)
I love veg, and I love chocolate, so why not combine them both, especially when it works out oh so very well! And I get a kick out of adding veg where people might not expect them (any way of upping the nutrition factor).
Now there might be a lot of you out there cringing at the thought of using zucchini because they have a bit of a reputation for being on the bland side, but this is exactly why they work so well and in baking, they keep things nice and moist. We have bunch of zucchinis coming up in the patch, and I can't wait to get more creative with this underestimated veg!
What you will need:
- 1 1/2 Cup of Grated Zucchini (2 medium sized zucchinis should do, mine was actually a smidge over 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Cup of Nut Butter (In this batch I used Organic Peanut Butter, but any nut butter would work like Almond for those wanting a paleo option)
- 1/3 Cup of Apple Sauce (I used Jolly Organics Applesauce as there isn't any added sugars)
- 1/2 Cup of Raw Cacao
- 1/2 Cup of Rice Malt Syrup
- 1 Egg (for a vegan option use a 'flax egg' - 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed in 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon (optional)
These are a one bowl wonder! Put all the ingredients in a bowl and either mix well by hand, stick blender, food processor or thermomix (my weapon of choice). Put mixture in a lined pan (I used a 30x25cm pan) and bake on 180c for approx 20 mins. Depending on the size and depth of your pan will affect the cooking time. Watch and take out when toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you try them next time you have some zucchini to use up - I think you will be so happy you did. Plus your body will be loving how healthy these little babies are!